Skip to main content

The Slipperyness of Gender


This post is about Jenna Wortham’s essay in Out Magazine about the word “femme.”


In this article Wortham talks about how queers today are expressing “femme-ness” in ways that are notably different from the traditional femme identity that was central to the queer community in the 60s and 70s. She also talks about how the line between masc and femme is drawn differently by others who view us than we draw it for ourselves. One turn of phrase she uses that I especially love is describing the times in her childhood in which she was misgendered as “slippery moments.” So often when one is misgendered they have to face the shame and frantic apologies of the person who did it. When you are misgendered you’re supposed to feel embarrassed and ashamed, in the world we live in gender is central, so if your gender isn’t immediately apparent then you’re doing it wrong. But Wortham never felt that way, she loved being read as a boy, and to describe it as “slippery” really embodies that feeling. It’s not bad or wrong or shameful, it’s something that feels kind of good, like you’re getting away with something, even if it doesn’t last long before the person realizes what they’ve done and the panic in their eyes sets in. But you’ve still got that feeling in your gut that tells you you’re doing something exactly right.

Another phrase that stopped me in my tracks was her explaining that she views masculinity and femininity as “collaborators, not competitors.” When I first read that quote I had to stop and really think about why it hit me as hard as it did. As someone who wants to be read as somewhat masculine, I shy away from even remotely feminine things, even if I like them. I’m afraid they’ll give me away, show people who I “really am” instead of what I desperately want them, and myself, to see when they look at me. This bothers me because I don’t want to be so tied to an identity, I want to be fluid, but at the same time I also want to see myself in a certain way. But this article showed me that maybe I’m focusing on the wrong things. Wortham realized as a child that “what adults had assigned to me didn’t have to belong to me” and it’s time that I realize that same thing about the people around me. I am inspired by her own story and the story she tells of Alexis DeVeaux, both of who exist somewhere in-between. When they were seen by others in a way that they don’t see themselves, they took it in and saw it for what it was, someone else’s opinion that has no effect on their lives, and let it go. Because the only voice that matters is their own.

Ready the essay here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Subjugated Histories

This post is about a video by Leslie Feinberg in which she talks about subjugated histories.